You know that old saying “while the cat’s away the mouse will play”? Well my cat is away… You see Mr Pencil is away at a conference for five days leaving me, Little Pencil and Fluffy Pencil to play.
What does this mean you ask?
- We get to eat two minute noodles for dinner. One night I was pushed to cook – we had scrambled eggs
- There is NO washing up from two minute noodles. Well one bowl, one spoon. The scrambled egg night was not as pleasant
- I only have to make one bed – Little Pencil, Fluffy Pencil and I all share a bed
- I get to drive his fancy car and pretend it’s mine
- I get to put on fake tan without being told I stink (Little Pencil has a very bad sense of smell)
- I get to have a break from watching sport on TV
- The bathroom is all mine in the morning.
- I can close the bedroom window (Mr Pencil has this odd belief that we need fresh air)
But in reality I miss him. Even when I speak to him every day and he’s only gone for 5 days
- I miss eating dinner as a family
- I miss him taking the dog for a walk
- I miss him encouraging Little Pencil to get ready for school in the morning
- I miss shouting at him that I also need some space in the bathroom
- I miss the sound of the TV in the lounge
- I miss him nagging me to switch off my laptop and go to bed
- My cursor has disappeared on my screen and I miss him fixing it for me
- I miss him walking through the door
God I’m lucky that I get to miss him even if he’s only gone for 5 days. I know how lucky I am and I hope he does too